How to apply
We are now welcoming applications for cohort 3 (to start in September 2021)!
Applicants should hold (or be about to obtain) a First or Upper Second Class Honours degree (or equivalent) in a relevant area of science or engineering. Please note that:
- Applications open in October for the following September.
- We currently have a limited number of UK-funded spaces available to join iCAT in September 2021 (Cohort 3). Applications will close once all spaces have been filled.
- Unfortunately, we are no longer offering overseas studentships for international students to join iCAT Cohort 3. We welcome applicants to send in their application for Cohort 4, staring in September 2022.
Please ensure that you read and follow the application instructions below.
To apply to the iCAT CDT, please follow the instructions below.
All applications must be made online via the University's website. The online form is generic and is used for all postgraduate degrees, but the instructions below are designed to make the application to the CDT as simple as possible.
- You'll find the link to the application form on the University website.
- Follow the instructions to register.
- When you get to the 'Create a New Postgraduate Application' page, select:
Institution: The University of Manchester
Academic Career: Postgraduate Research
Mode of Attendance: Full Time
- In the Programme Description box enter 'Integrated Catalysis', and then click on the 'search' button.
- PhD Integrated Catalysis CDT should appear as one of the options. Select the 'apply' link next to this option. This will take you to the start of the online form for the programme. Now just enter your details and follow the instructions.
- Please note that we will also require two references (at least one of which must be academic), a personal statement no longer than 500 words, and a copy of your CV. If you don't have the supporting documents when you apply, you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org; please note that the deadline for receiving or uploading supporting documents is the same as the deadline for applications.
- You do NOT need to prepare a research proposal; you will be offered a selection of projects to choose from in the first semester of year 1. On step 3 of the application form (proposed research project), the only required fields are the start date (please select 'September 2021'), and research title (please type 'iCAT CDT').
- On step 8 of the application (funding), your main funding source will be 'internal', the award type is 'other internal funding source', and the award status 'not applicable'
All iCAT CDT students, regardless of their nationality, will be fully funded: fees are covered, and an annual stipend at UKRI level will be provided. Students will additionally receive a travel and consumables budget.
There is a limited number of studentships available for overseas student in each cohort. Due to the high demand for these, we strongly encourage overseas candidates interested in joining the iCAT CDT to submit their applications as early as possible; our recruitment cycle typically opens in September/October, to start in September the following year. Recruitment for cohort 4 (starting in September 2022) will start later this year; should you wish to be notified about the new recruitment cycle, please make sure to ‘register your interest’ in our Contact Us page.